Resource Enhancement and Protection (REAP) – DNR Open Spaces Protection: Acquisition and Development
Cost-share program that allows private conservation organizations and the DNR to jointly acquire property to help provide outdoor recreation opportunities and protect critical habitats.
Eligible Project Criteria
Selection criteria includes, but is not limited to:
Relative rarity of the natural resources found on the site
Quality of the site
Immediate threats to the area that constitute urgency for acquisition and/or development
Rare or unique species communities on the site
Public benefits of acquisition and/or development of the site
Communications plan to inform users of the importance of the proposed acquisition and/or development
Plans to promote the acquisition and/or development
Additional Requirements and Information
The private conservation organization will need to provide 25% of the funding required for the purchase, with REAP providing the remaining 75% of the required funding. The DNR will own and manage the property that is jointly purchased on behalf of the public.
Properties purchased through this program will remain on the tax rolls. The DNR will pay the property taxes using REAP provided funds to alleviate any burdens on local governments.
Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
Iowa private conservation organizations
Application review takes place in the fall with award announcements made in the following weeks.
Tammie Krausman, REAP Coordinator
Iowa Department of Natural Resources
Wallace State Office Building
502 E 9th St
Des Moines, IA 50319
Phone: (515) 402-8763